History of Cerritos
Cerritos was originally Occupied by Native Americans belonging into the Tongva (or"People of the Earth"). Later, the Tongva will be renamed the"Gabrieleños" from the Spanish lands following the nearby Mission San Gabriel Arcangel. The Gabrieleños were the largest set of Southern California Indians as well as the very developed in the Area. The Gabrieleños lived from the property, deriving food in the animals or plants which could be accumulated, snared, or hunted, and grinding acorns as a staple.
The colonization process comprised"civilizing" the native inhabitants in California by way of establishing various assignments. Soon afterward, a city known as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles de Porciúncula (Los Angeles now ) would be set up and prosper with the assistance of topics from New Spain and Native American labor.
One soldier, José Manuel Nieto, has been awarded a sizable plot of land from the Spanish King Carlos III, which he called Rancho Los Nietos. It covered 300,000 acres (1,200 km2) of what are today the cities of Cerritos, Long Beach, Lakewood, Downey, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs, a portion of Whittier, Huntington Beach, Buena Park, and Garden Grove.
The rancho was split five ways among Nieto's heirs throughout the nationalization of church property from the Mexican government, together with Juan José Nieto keeping the most significant plot named Rancho Los Coyotes. Nieto is known as the area of Rancho Los Coyotes, in which Cerritos, CA is situated today, "Cerritos" or even"small hills" though no organic mountains exist in modern-day Cerritos.
Following the Mexican-American war, the rancho would eventually wind up at the hands of their Los Angeles and San Bernardino Land Company which invited development and rail lines to be built by Henry E. Huntington and his Pacific Electric Railway business. It had been through rapid development, together with improved transportation systems, that the modern-day town of Artesia was shaped in Rancho Los Coyotes in 1875, and out of it, the City of Dairy Valley.
A small general aviation airport was constructed around 1946 and was known as Cranford Airport and consisted of two 2,300' runways, one oriented north/south & another northeast/southwest. Every aircraft had a parallel taxiway, and a ramp along the south side of this field had two construction hangars. The website for Cranford Airport is situated on the northwest corner of this junction of South Street & Carmenita Road. Cranford Airport closed at some point between 1953-54.
The City of Dairy Valley was incorporated on April 24, 1956, as a response to nearby Artesia's fast urbanization. The city's name represented the more than 400 dairies, 100,000 cows, and 106,300 hens located within its limitations. The cows totaled the City's 3,439 residents by 29 to 1. The chickens outnumbered the inhabitants by more than 30 to 1. The very first small business license in the city was for Walter Marlowe's"Dairy Valley Egg Farms".2 years later, Dairy Valley appeared to become a chartered California town. As land values and land taxation in California climbed in the early 1960s, agriculture became increasingly unprofitable, and growth pressures increased. In a special election held on July 16, 1963, taxpayers voted to allow large-scale residential improvement. As a reflection of its own recently planned suburban orientation, the City's name formally changed to"Cerritos" on January 10, 1967, after the neighboring Spanish land grant Rancho Los Cerritos, which calculated in the area and after Cerritos College in neighboring Norwalk. Cerritos mobile mechanic technicians from La Palma Mobile Mechanic are proud to serve this area today.